A society where young people and women are empowered, individuals respect and non-violently promote dignity and equal rights to all irrespective of gender
Summary Description of your Organization
The organisation is a local youth led NGO formed in 2010 and based in Dedza district in Malawi. The organization is registered with Malawi Government under the Trustees Incorporation Act (CAP.5:03), Dedza District Council, National Youth Council of Malawi, Council for Non-Governmental Organization in Malawi (CONGOMA) and NGO Board of Malawi.
The organization is based in Dedza district but operates in both Dedza and Ntcheu district.The organization exist to provide optimal framework condition to vulnerable children, young women and youths in rural communities .
The organization operates in six thematic areas namely Democratic Governance, Sexual Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR) and HIV&AIDS, Youth Leadership and Participation, Gender and Social Inclusion, Child Rights and Basic Education
• To contribute towards democracy consolidation by promoting human rights, rule of law and good governance through civic education and empowerment
• To promote the rights and responsibilities of children and advocate for their protection and service provision in all areas
• To reduce HIV/AIDS, STIs prevalence and promote participation on Sexual Reproductive Health programs and activities among young people as well as promoting care and support for vulnerable groups
• To facilitate the promotion of access to quality education and education for all, with special attention on increasing attendance of girls at risk of exclusion or dropping out
• To enhance youth and community participation in the social, political and economic development of the country
• To promote sustainable use and conservation of natural resources and increase food security and resilience to climate change.
• To promote the rights and responsibilities of children and women and advocate for their protection and service provision in all areas
• To lobby and advocate for policy development, review and implementation (youth and children policies)
Since 2010, the organisation has worked and successfully implemented several projects. For example, YICOD has managed a good number of projects. These project were funded by National Aids Commission (NAC) to reduce HIV infections among young people, United Nations Democracy Fund through Malawi Human Rights Youth Network on youth participation, Tilitonse Fund on education governance and this year funded by Christian Aid Malawi on environmental restoration, Her Voice Fund on meaningful engagement of adolescent girls and young women and finally increasing women representation in political leadership. The Royal Norwegian Embassy through the 50:50 Campaign Management Agency